Bellerbys Economics - Mr Stephenson

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Minimum Wage

Many students have been asking me recently about where they can get a job. In most cases, your visa allows you to work part-time during term time and full-time during the holidays.

The easiest way in the UK to get a job is simply to walk into an establishment and ask for one - sometimes you will see a notice on the window of a shop or cafe, saying something like 'Staff Required' or 'Part-Time Vacancies'. The favourites for most students are Asian restaurants, McDonalds/Burger King and big shops such as Primark.

If you work in a small business, remember that they must pay you Minimum Wage. We helped one student last year claim back money he was owed from a Chinese restaurant. We did this with the help of the local Trading Standards Officer. If you have tax taken from your wages, you can probably claim it back again at the end of the year from the local tax office (Brighton 2) using the P5 form.

Here are the new Mimimum Wage Rates:

The adult rate for the statutory minimum wage will go up from £5.35 to £5.52 and from £4.44 to £4.60 for 18 to 21-year-olds. The rate for 16 and 17-year-olds will increase from £3.30 to £3.40 an hour. The annual holiday will rise from 20 to 24 days a year, for people who work five days a week, and will rise again to 28 days from April 2009.

If you work in a restaurant, it's important to remember that under UK law, the owner cannot include any tips that you get as part of your pay - this is a gift from the customer to you and it has nothing to do with the business.

Remember the holiday rate - because if you only work for a business for a short period - let's say three months - and you haven't had any holiday, then they must pay you for the holiday that they owe you - for three months, that would be six days extra pay.


  • I used to have a job back in the Night Club in London though, I earn about £ 50/ hour. However, the point is not the money. This will help you to practice your English and also you will earn some experience. However, you got to manage your time right. So on, you got to be happy with it too. Also, this will look nice on your CV. Well, another good idea to work as a dj or bartender, when you get your qualification, you will get promotion. so, you will get a better job with the better money

    By Blogger Watcharaphon Pansanit (Lee), at 3:12 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home